St. Isidore's Cream Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- zest of 1 lemon or orange (my favorite is lemon!)
- 1-1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 425* F.
- Ready a large ungreased baking sheet, lined with parchment paper
- Place dry ingredients in large bowl and whisk together thoroughly.
- Stir in zest and dried cranberries.
- Add in heavy cream all at once and stir together until all ingredients are moistened. Now use hands to gather dough and knead inside the bowl turning and pressing any loose pieces together about 10 times.
- Place on lightly floured surface and pat the dough into an 8 inch circle about 3/4 inch thick. Cut with a 2 inch round biscuit cutter. Place 1/2 inch apart on the lined baking sheet. Makes approx. 15 scones.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
- My mother places the baking sheet of scones into freezer for several minutes or as long as overnight to set the cream before baking. It helps keep the scones standing upright during baking. Also, try brushing the tops with a little cream or melted butter and put them under the broiler a minute or two to help get that yummy rich, golden color. – Inga
Around the Farm Table http://aroundthefarmtable.com/home/